Saturday, October 9, 2010

I think I've made it

A sure sign I've become famous is when complete strangers send me emails that don't ask for my help in moving millions of dollars from an African bank account:
Have a beautiful Day ! 
Dear Angela [pseudonymous surname],  
in the small Polish town of Olesnica, there is a particular library. Please allow me to introduce you to: 
The Foreign Language Social Library, a part of the GLOWINSKIS' LIBRARY 
The Foreign Language Social Library (a part of the Glowinskis' Library) is a very special one in part because all of the library's books, as well as its huge gallery of illustrations (digitals and pictures), have been donated by not only the illustrators and writers themselves, but also by librarians, publishers and people with large hearts from around the whole world. 
I would be honored and delighted if you would consider donating anything of your work to our library. Your own book (with autograph or dedication), illustrations, and the like, would be most appreciated by our readership and by me personally.
The Glowinskis' Library lends books at no charge, and I work in the library as an unpaid volunteer. We depend entirely on people like you - large hearted people who love the printed word, books and illustrations - to make what we do possible. 
Please visit our website below to see who else has generously agreed to donate a small item of work to represent them at our library:
http://glowinski.olesnica.pl/index.php?lang=en&page=galeria 
http://glowinski.olesnica.pl/index.php?lang=pl&page=swiatowyksiegozbior 
Thank you for your time and consideration. 
With best regards from Poland, 
Tadeusz Glowinski Librarian
The best part is, this guy is TOTALLY FOR REAL. I totally looked him up. He's 63 years old. He's been carrying out this one-man crusade for years. PEOPLE REALLY DO SEND HIM THEIR OWN BOOKS.

You see the problem here, of course. If I adhere to his stipulations, then the only thing I can send him is my dissertation. That might actually be a good idea...

In the mean time, I shall settle for spreading Teddy's email around. I'm sure we can work something out. It's also an incentive to take NaNoWriMo seriously, no?

2 comments:

Snuze said...

You gonna NaNoWriMo? Really? Hee!

Most of my ficcage is in bits and pieces on various notebooks and whispering in my head. Writing it down is sooo hard!

Angela Gripesalot said...

Same here! It's like catching a rainbow!